2622 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94115
415.346.0414 • 415.290.8473
Sue.L.Rochman@gmail.com • @SRochman
I am a professional journalist covering health and medicine, with an eye toward overlooked and underexplored topics. My areas of expertise include women’s health, cancer, and health disparities. I have extensive experience working with writers, editors, and public relations specialists; identifying, assigning, and editing timely news and feature stories; and writing compelling feature-length articles. I am able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Independent Health/Medical Journalist 1989 to Present
Write news and feature articles for national, regional, and special-interest publications and health websites. This includes:
- Contributing writer and editor for Cancer Today, published by the American Association for Cancer Research. Move articles in the magazine’s Forward Look news section through full editorial process, from assignment through publication. Write news and feature stories.
- Medical writer for Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. Wrote content for website launch and re-launch. Write news articles for blog and website.
- Medical writer for BreastCancerTrials.org. Wrote content for website launch and re-launch. Edit trial summaries. Wrote quarterly newsletter.
- Health writer for Cancer Support Community. Wrote content for site re-launch (coming January 2016). Write guides for cancer patients and survivors.
- Served as editor at large for HIV Plus, writing news and feature stories on HIV/AIDS.
My work has appeared in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, SELF, The Advocate, MAMM, and the Los Angeles Times. I have written articles and reports for Remedy Health Media/Health After 50 and the UC Berkeley Wellness Report.
Communications Director, Gay & Lesbian Medical Association 1998 to 2000
- Responsible for creating and implementing strategic communications plans.
- Developed and fostered relationships with local, regional, and national media.
Master of Arts, Journalism
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University
Bachelor of Arts, Women’s Studies
University of California, San Diego
Excellence in Journalism Award, Society of Professional Journalists Greater Philadelphia Chapter, 2011
Award for Excellence in Health Care Journalism, Association of Health Care Journalists, 2007
Cancer Seminar Fellow, National Press Foundation, 2003